Raza: Hi, my name is Raza and I will be asking you a series
of questions on your experience as a refugee. Let me remind you of why I am
interviewing you. My class at the University of Denver is putting together a
guide for employers and volunteers at the ACC to give these groups an idea of
what to expect with refugees. On the employers side, we are trying to convince employers
to hire refugees, since refugees have a tough time getting jobs. By doing
interviews with diverse people like you, we can try to gather information to
put into this guide.
Georgette: Ok. Yeah, many of us are working at home and do
not know much about the process of getting a job... Especially the first time.
Sometimes language was difficult.
Raza: Exactly. So, why don't you go ahead and tell me your
background story. Where are you from? How did you get there?
Georgette: About myself? (laughter). Ok, I'm Georgette. I
come from Congo. I remember that I had a good life before everything was coming.
My father was a good guy. He wasn't there, but a good guy. I was living with my
big family. However, after the fight, I was separated with my family. I can
probably say forever, but a long time...
(Interview gets interrupted by ACC employee)
Raza: So you were saying that there was a fight. What was
that about?
Georgette: Politics. I do not know what it was called, but
the first one was October 1996. The big Massac.
Raza: Ok, so when did you come here?
Georgette: I left my country to another in Africa, to a
capital. I was taken away from my family. First I was a refugee in the capital.
In the capital you do not have family, or anybody. It was difficult for us. We
took the boat to get there. We slept in the boat. Can you imagine that? It took
like one month. Yes. Then a refugee
program gave us some food in the camp while we were there. That's why I think
that this was not a life for a young girl. I had to work there in a restaurant
and then ended up getting pregnant.
Raza: And this was all in the refugee camps?
Georgette: Yes. It was not an easy life. I was there for
five years. I was also far from family and could not complete my school.
Raza: Was this college or high school or...
Georgette: High school.
Raza: So were you in high school in the refugee camps or
back home?
Georgette: In Congo.
Raza: So how long have you been in America for?
Georgette: The program took us to the United States. We have
been here for four and a half years.
Raza: Do you have any family here with you? Are you by
yourself?
Georgette: No, just me and my daughter. I really am so happy
for her. Maybe she won't have this terrible life. Maybe one day she will
understand where she has come from.
Raza: Ok. In these five years here, what jobs have you had?
Georgette: If you don't speak English, it isn't easy....
Housekeeping. I was housekeeping for three years. But now maybe I can get
training for care giving and food safety.
Raza: But, it seems like your English is great now!
Georgette: (laughter). But I still have an accent. People look at me weird.
Raza: I guess being immersed in the culture has helped with
your English?
Georgette: Yeah, and I never got a chance to take classes in
English. When I came here, my daughter was a little baby. So I had to stay
home. But, my English is better. Just talking to people and wanting to meet
people helps. But, just going to class for six months, I do not have a chance.
And I now I have had opportunities, but when you have a baby, it is tough.
Raza: Ok, how many of those housekeeping jobs have you had?
1?
Georgette: No, no.... I have had 12 housekeeping jobs. But
in different places.
Raza: And have you been in Colorado these past years, or
have you moved states?
Georgette: I tried to move one time to New Jersey for 6
months. I went because I met one family that told me to come visit. I came
there, and it was a bad life. So I came back. This was in 2010.
Raza: What do you think is the most beneficial thing you
have done to get these housekeeping jobs and other jobs that you have now?
Georgette: I wish I had a better job than housekeeping. It
is not easy.... It is very hard. My dream was to be a nurse one day
because I had taken a medical class in high
school.
Raza: And do you think you'll be a nurse over here?
Georgette: Yes. Now my daughter is growing up, so I can go
to school. It will be more flexible.
Raza: How old is your daughter?
Georgette: She will be five after tomorrow!
Raza: Oh, wow! Great. Moving on, what would you say was the
best thing you did in order to get your first job here in this new environment.
Georgette: Hmm, my first job. At the time I came, you know,
everyone meets someone to help here. I
met this guy in my apartment who got me my first job. It was a hotel in
Bloomfield. I had to pay for my rent as I took care of everything myself.
Raza: Ok, so what specific advice would you give a refugee
who has just gotten here to get a job?
Georgette: Be strong. I always tell her (pointing to her
friend who was sitting in a corner) to try to get past all of the tough
situations. I mean, they help us... but they do not have a lot of money. They
do their best... It can be very crazy without a heart.
Raza: Great point. What was the hardest thing you have faced
here as far as employment is concerned.
Georgette: The first one was the language barrier. The
second one, you know, is feeling afraid of the big city an different people you
meet.
Raza: For the hardest part of getting a job here, I guess
you would say the language barrier and cultural problems?
Georgette: Yeah... yeah
Raza: Ok, and how would you say the Congo is different than
here, culturally?
Georgette: I was a child, you know. I stayed with my parents
and went to school. You change lives very fast. I have to take care of myself
now and my daughter. That is me. I do not have anybody.
Raza: You said you want to be a nurse in the future. How
will you go about getting that job?
Georgette: The first thing for me is going back to school.
My English is going to be better. I am going to strive to go back to class. I
will go to the GED class and then to college. I now it will take me more years,
but, after I get my certificate, it is easy to get a job. The personality comes
first with this job. It is not about the money. You have to have the heart.
Raza: And you have this heart?
Georgette: Yes, I can say that. I have already practiced
this when I went to school.
Raza: Before coming to America, what was your view of it?
Georgette: I never thought of America. I never dreamed of
it. I was thinking, maybe, to come visit. But why? What family do I have?
Raza: Ok, how is working in America different than working
in Central Africa.
Georgette: They have respect for me (over here). Over there,
they give you work and pay you small money. They can abuse you and say
"you come here." Customers can just touch you. There is something
good over here. Back there, they can put their hands on you. Because they have
a big personality or are soldiers. You can't talk. They slap you, hit you. You
just do a job for small money.
Raza: Wow... we are almost done. Just a couple of more questions.
What is your favorite hobby?
Georgette: To see my daughter. I love it when she says,
"Mom, I love you."
Raza: Alright. And what was your best experience in America?
Georgette: Me working hard and with respect.
Raza: Ok, what has been your best job while in America?
Georgette: (laughter). No matter where I go, I always have a
"best job." I always meet people. They are so nice. I have never had
a bad job. All of the people are always very friendly at the hotels.
Raza: Last question. What are your hopes for your daughter?
Georgette: To finish her education. To be someone. I always
tell her, "promise me to be someone."
Raza: Alright, great! I think I have everything I need.
Thanks. I really appreciate it.
Georgette: No problem. Thank you!
The interview process was amazing. For the first time, I was
actually able to have a conversation with a refugee who has had success in
America. Further, Georgette was absolutely great. Her passion and optimism made
me feel happy for the rest of the day. It is absolutely amazing how refugees
like Georgette can remain enthusiastic in the conditions presented to them
daily.
As far as the benefits of interviews, I believe that they
can give great insight into the lives of refugees for researchers, writers, and
readers. This is due to the personal experiences that are portrayed through
interviews. However, I believe that interviews have the greatest value for
those that are personally conducting the interview. This is because interviewers
get the true experience straight from the interviewee. On the other hand, if
the interview is changed or not transcribed correctly, readers and researchers
may not get the correct information and facts that were originally presented.
No comments:
Post a Comment