These documents were very insightful in describing the
plight of refugees. I personally find it
extremely interesting that refugees must put in hundreds of hours during the
ACC's pre-employment program before being eligible for a job. I had absolutely no idea
that refugees must go through these programs before going out into the workforce. Again,
these documents remind me of the amount of work and hardships refugees must go through while
in America. If these documents have impacted me after I have spent weeks
talking about refugees, I strongly believe that they would also positively
impact future employers and volunteers.
Overall, I think that these documents do an amazing job advertising
the positives of refugees (and, not surprisingly, I found no faults in both the
Backgrounder and the Guide). As an employer, I would obviously be very impressed
with the work the ACC does in preparing this group for the workforce. From the
pre-employment training to the efforts the employment center puts forth in matching
refugees for job openings, I trust employers would be very excited to hire
these men and women. The very fact that the ACC highlights the tax breaks
employers receive by hiring refugees puts the icing on the cake.
I also love that the Backgrounder highlights the problems
refugees have while they are resettling in America. Though common sense would
tell you that this would paint a negative picture of refugees, I think that it
makes the Backgrounder more realistic. Moreover, it is the fact that the
Backgrounder emphasizes the strategies refugees can use to overcome these
problems that the reader gets a sense that these problems are only temporary.
Hence, this communicates that employers should be more than willing to take a
chance on employing a refugee.
However, I noticed that these readings were not targeted very well to volunteers. One suggestion I have is to add the fact that refugees come to America
not only to evade persecution, but to also give their families a better
education and life. This has been obvious to me since volunteering at the ACC
and going to the Voice of Refugees event. To do this, I would incorporate
personal stories into the Backgrounder and the Guide. By doing so, not only
will volunteers be more excited to help out a group that they can
personally relate to, but employers will also be more inclined to hire this
group.
Finally, for our final project, I would definitely have a section
where we can stress all of the tangible benefits employers receive by hiring
refugees. In addition, I would talk about the strong characteristics refugees
come to America with. This is critical to convince employers that refugees are
great options for employment. Further, it is integral that we give examples of
true refugee stories, thereby connecting with the employers personally. This is guaranteed to make employers more inclined to hire refugees. Finally, we must mention
that the reason refugees are here in America is not necessarily for their own personal
growth, but to better the lives of relatives. This will tell employers that by
hiring one person, they are affecting several lives.
Good review, Raza. You're right that the financial benefits for some employers may be one of the most persuasive reasons to hire refugees. I also appreciated your attention to the motivations of refugees, which are good to highlight.
ReplyDelete